Thursday 11 April 2013

We Boulder Hard

Bah, I haven't posted in almost a week, but only because I finally got a gym membership so it's taken priority of my free time. But now I'm back and ready to rock n' roll. Right before we left Queenstown Chris and I were invited to go rock climbing, and then about double the people that were supposed to go joined and it was changed to bouldering instead. Not too many people know what bouldering is, but not to worry, I shall explain.
Allow me to demonstrate:
You find a massive boulder (if they look small just wait, they looked really small to me at first too)
 



You get yourself out of the car and play some catch while you wait for everyone to arrive and get settled





You get a mat/mattress and lay it on the ground under where you're climbing, chalk your hands and put on climbing shoes (no harnesses for bouldering)


(At this point it would be good to have a spotter to point out tiny ledges you may not notice/guide you if you fall)


And then you're off to the top by any means necessary usually holding on by 1 toe and 2 fingertips



And now you have two options: 1. Stay at the top of the bouldering while enjoying the view/people below






Or 2. Jump down, from however high you climbed to


Anyone ever bouldered before? I highly recommend going with someone experienced if you never have, depending on the rock type you may not know if it will hold or not. Jumping down is a bit scary; I thought of how high I jumped from when I was little and that boosted my confidence enough to get me to let go.
Also, be prepared for everything to be sore the next day, and the day after that, and after that, for at least a week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment