Thursday 29 May 2014

Edo Tokyo Museum

What's the best thing to do on a rainy afternoon?
There are three options for me: 1. Go to a museum, 2. Go see a movie, or 3. Snuggle in bed with tea.

Considering I've been watching a different movie every night, and I didn't actually have a "bed" in Tokyo (only a couch very generously offered to me by a friend) I though a museum might be a nice change of pace.

The Edo Tokyo Museum looked nice from the website so we bundled up, grabbed an umbrella and headed out to brave the storm.
(Though I wish I had one of these babies to be carried around in during weather like this.)


The building looks reallllly cool form the outside.
Once you buy the tickets and get on a 3 story high escalator you realize that the building is for show and the museum is only on  2 floors of this building.

The museum itself wasn't my favorite.
It was interesting don't get me wrong, but for a non-Japanese speaker who has almost zero knowledge in Japanese history it was a little dry and hard to know what I was looking at.
(Most of the signs and descriptions are in Japanese.)

Luckily I had someone with me that can at least make out the titles of the description signs so I could kind of get by.










A cold day usually calls for some warm food.
A really cool thing about Japan is that you can order what you want out of a vending machine!!!
You just pick what you want, push a button, put in money and out prints a ticket.
You take the ticket directly to the chef and he rings a bell when your food is ready to be picked up.
Efficiency at its finest.




No comments:

Post a Comment